Saturday, October 23, 2010

Hoping for some more!

I felt that time was running out on the high country Wasatch so when the opportunity presented itself for a ride the day before a big cold winter storm was about to slam into us I couldn't pass that up. I rolled up to the Top of Millcreek and parked at the Big Water Trailhead. The parking lot was not very busy so I felt that I was in for a pretty good ride. It was a bit chilly in the parking lot but figured once I got started I would warm right up. I started just before 4, I decided to pack my lights so I could stay out a little longer. It gets dark by 7 now.

I forgot how nice the climb up Big Water is. There are some grunt sections but mostly a pretty pleasant climb. The views were pretty ok.
Climb up Big Water

        Red Pine Lake
Desolation Lake with some snow flurries

Dog Lake
 The trails were all in great shape, a few small muddy patches but nothing more than a few feet. Big Water, Crest, Dog Lake, MMT. Finished a little after 8, in the dark. Super fun decent with nice lights! 

I saw a few oddities. One group of 4 right by Desolation. Looked in over their heads. Not uncommon on that trail. They all had their hooded sweatshirts with the hoods on, no gloves. Hopefully they made it out ok. I also saw one dude in full on armor heading up Dog Lake. He was ready to rip that mean downhill apart. Dog Lake? Seriously? I have to admit it was not as busy as I was expecting. I had plenty of carrots to keep me rolling but there was never a time that I was frustrated by people. Overall a pretty great ride. I would rank it in the top 5 for the year. 
Carpet of Yellow Aspen leaves
My phone died shortly after. Hopefully this storm doesn't completely rule out any more rides before the snow really flies. I would like to ride some more of that singletrack. 

Still need to find a Helloween Costume!

1 comment: